Saturday, August 29, 2009

Food for a lonely weekend

I am going to be pretty much alone all weekend long. When I know I won't see anyone, I tend to watch too many old movies and eat way too much! At Trader Joe's I found the perfect summer meal for me.

Wine- CS of course, three-layer hummus, pita chips and yogurt. This will be good for at least a couple of movies.

This is perfect because I am still without a stove. It isn't easy to find a stove around here for a decent price. If it's vintage. People really do think they are worth their weight in gold. But they present problems for desert usage. They emit heat constantly and when it is 100+ degrees outside, it tends to drain energy if one has and A/C central air unit. I have just a swamp cooler, which right now is a real pain in the butt. Today as I type, it is 108 degrees. It is expected to get up to 115 later on in the afternoon. A well-maintained swamp cooler lowers the temp by 30-40 degrees, maximum, and that's if the air is extremely dry. I have to admit that I don't do the greatest job taking care of mine, so it probably lowers the temp by more like 20 degrees.

Phoenix is SO hot this year! At TJ's the cashier said, "So what do you guys have planned today?" I replied that we were mostly concerned about keeping cool. She agreed but said, "It could be much worse." I repeated the morning news report I'd heard that indicated this July was the hottest on record. "Don't believe it," said the cashier. "Nope nope nope. No way is this the hottest summer. I've been through much worse, I'll tell you."

We had to laugh. Oh, nevermind what those experts say, I'm telling you this isn't the hottest summer and that's final!

No comments: