Sunday, May 27, 2007

Spice Racks

In my other blog, I discussed at some length what I gave my niece for graduation. When she does finally get her own place, she will be well taken care-of with housewares. My mom and I have stored just about everything she would need, and Niece has been given veto power. If she doesn't like something, it just goes to the Salvation Army.

Today, it occurred to me that one thing Niece will need is a spice rack. It was one of the first things I bought when I moved out. I felt like such an adult as I proudly placed it on the counter next to the stove! So I've been looking around. Here are some of my favorites:

From abodecookware, Define 6. I LOVE teak, and the metal containers are nice, since it's always a good idea to keep spices in darkness. I just wish that for the price, £31.95 plus shipping, we could get more than 6 at a time!

iKitchen has many great choices, and I see that they are having a Memorial Day sale right now. I'm going to record the regular prices, since I don't plan on buying today or tomorrow. First up, the Magnetic Canister set by Pfatlzgraff. I like the idea, but I also think it's important for each spice to be labeled, and that the cook doesn't have to search for the label. It is priced at $41.99. My personal favorite is the KitchenArt Carousel. It is compact, and stackable. There are pre-printed labels to stick on the outside, and it can even measure in 1/4 tsp increments. Ouchie! $49.99 is a bit steep, but a quick eBay drive-by calmed my shocked nerves. I found one listed at $9.99 plus shipping. Before moving on, I have one last favorite from iKitchen. It's also by Pfaltzgraff; a 24-Jar Revolving, with cute little jars and clearly labeled tops. It is pricey at $55.99.

TheTubularSpiceCo is another wonderful site. They have a few outstanding gift sets, one of which comes with a set of measuring spoons, a funnel, and a unique mortar & pestle made of stainless steel. Hm. I don't know if I would use a metal mortar & pestle. Another gift set comes with measuring cups and the tubes are set in a wood block, which is pretty cool. The only problem with the tubes (which I think are groove-o-matic, don't get me wrong) is the cork tops. Cork doesn't last as long as glass. Eventually, the cork will dry out or will get damaged after being used, and what do you do then? The pictured gift set is on sale for $89.99. Check out what they have over there! They also sell organic spices. Yes!

Again, I realize that these are pricey, but I am swooning over this beautiful work of art from Williams-Sonoma. If I had this set, I would probably end up turning the jars inward and using my own personal labeler. It costs a whopping $115.

StacksAndStacks
has a few reasonably prices options, and a great selection. I like their square stainless lidded jars with mini-grinders. It can be stored on the counter or on the wall. Great for young people! It has nine jars and comes with labels! Great! I think it's a steal at only $32.99. For small spaces, this stacking spice rack has three drawers, and you can just throw your spices in there as soon as you get home from the store. Also a smart option for young adults. $39.99.

I would love to find some product reviews on some of these items. If anyone has experience or opinions about them, they are welcome to post a comment.


No comments: