Friday, September 14, 2007

Vacation. What will I do?

I think this time, I'll have plenty of opportunity for quiet reflection, since I'll be spending a week Up North taking care of my Grammy. She likes Scrabble, coffee with Irish whiskey and a DROP of heavy cream, and Cobb salad with Roquefort dressing. I like Scrabble and coffee. And I don't mind a drop of Irish whiskey, so I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time.

Last time I was there, I was able to get her to give me some of her old recipes. I treasure them! I think this time, I'm going to borrow a camcorder from one of my aunts so I can record her telling some of her favorite old stories. She loves to tell stories with no real point. That must be where I get it from. But still, I love them all. There is one she likes to tell every time anyone brings up the subject of donuts.

"Ooooooh JesusMaryandJoseph child, how blessed we were when Momma found an extra few pennies for us, before we lost her bless her soul I miss her like the dickens what a good woman she was and my lovely granddaughter reminds me of her every time I see her beautiful smile she does.... where was I? Anyhow darling, Mamma would give us a penny, and I would take the twins over to the bakery, you don't know what a luxury it was back then to live near a bakery where you could get the freshest bread for nothing. And Lord forgive me for it but oh how I did love to eat the donuts and the cake that you could buy for just a penny! Bless her soul, she had such a good heart, much like my beautiful granddaughter before me today, and oh! She gave me the best gift a mother could give a daughter, my dear. My child-like faith in God, MH. I have always had a child-like faith, I'm sure you know, and it was herself who gave it to me, yes it was. Anyhow my dear, by and by there was no more coffee and not a penny for that, not to mention bread. And it was oh such torture living near such a thing as a bakery then. But when we did have that extra penny again, why do you think we relished such a thing as a donut? Because we were lucky to have our lives. The Lord rewards gratitude and punishes arrogance, MH, and that is why there but for the Grace of Him goes me. "

Can't wait!

No comments: