Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Irish Glory and Cucumber Delights

So here are a couple that I got from a great old Cookbook all about hors d'oeuvres:

Cucumber Delights



Simply Slice one large cucumber, drain 1 hour (I sprinkle with a little salt to draw the water out) and heap on this mixture:

4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 stuffed green olives (I did two recipes; one with onion stuffed and one with garlic stuffed... both great!)
1 Tbsp. white wine
1/2 tsp. salt

Blend well!

There are many variations of this cucumber recipe. there is one with dried beef, cream cheese and bleu cheese, which would sound good to me if I ate meat!

I'm thinking that I need to put less of the mixture on the cucumber, and maybe cut the cucumber in half. I had some melba toasts, and tried the cucumber on it. I liked it, M didn't. I guess that I don't like the idea of people having to pick something moist up with their fingers.... but it tasted great!

next...

Irish Glory



Mix...
1 c mashed potatoes
1/4 lb soft butter
1 c. sifted flour
1/2 Tbsp. caraway seeds
1/5 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
- - -
1 beaten egg

crushed cereal corn flakes

Form into balls, roll in beaten egg and then in crushed cereal flakes. Drop by teaspoonfuls on a greased cooky sheet and bake at 400 until brown.

I made them too big, and I didn't have cereal, so I crushed up tortilla chips. It still tasted alright. Except I will use less caraway next time. Otherwise they would make a great appetizer. They are easy to handle, tasty, and if you don't make them too big, will only be one bite.

No comments: